Saturday, 26 September 2026

Introductions_Formal_Professional_Informal

Introductions – Formal and Informal | GVPIHLR
Gayatri Vidya Parishad Institute of Higher Learning and Research
First-Year Engineering • A2 → B1

Introductions – Formal and Informal

Learn how to introduce yourself naturally, choose the right level of formality, and adapt your introduction to classmates, teachers and professional guests.

SpeakingListening60-minute lesson Interactive practice
Language Register

Formal, Professional and Informal: What Is the Difference?

Formal and professional are not synonyms. They often overlap, but they describe different dimensions of language.

Formal = how respectful, official, or ceremonious the language sounds.
Professional = how appropriately and effectively the language communicates within a workplace or academic context.

FORMAL

Focus: degree of formality, officialness and social/institutional distance.

Question: “Does this sound appropriately formal?”

PROFESSIONAL

Focus: context, purpose, clarity, courtesy and professional expectations.

Question: “Is this appropriate for this professional situation?”

INFORMAL

Focus: relaxed, conversational interaction, usually with people we know well.

Question: “Am I speaking naturally with someone I know?”

Quick Comparison: Formal vs Professional

Remember: Formal describes the degree of formality; professional describes appropriateness for a workplace or academic context.

Formal Register Professional Register
Focus: official, respectful, more distant Focus: appropriate, clear, courteous and work-oriented
Sounds: more formal or institutional Sounds: natural but appropriate for work/study
Example: “I would be grateful if you could provide the revised document.” Example: “Could you please send me the revised document?”
Key question: “How formal does this need to sound?” Key question: “Is this appropriate for this professional situation?”

Same Meaning, Different Register

Here the meaning and purpose stay the same. Only the register changes.

Context / Meaning Informal Professional Formal
Ask someone to send a file “Can you send me that file?” “Could you please send me the revised file?” “I would be grateful if you could provide the revised document.”
Ask for lecture notes “Sir, can you send me the notes?” “Professor, could you please share the Unit 3 notes?” “Dear Professor, I would be grateful if you could provide the lecture materials for Unit 3.”
Ask about a meeting “When are we meeting?” “Could you please confirm the meeting time?” “I would appreciate it if you could confirm the scheduled time of the meeting.”
Ask someone to finish a task “Can you finish this today?” “Could you please complete this by today?” “I would be grateful if you could complete the task by the end of the day.”

Same Context, Different Register

The purpose remains the same, but the register changes.

Same Context: Requesting Lecture Notes

INFORMAL

“Hi sir, I need the notes. Can you send them?”

PROFESSIONAL

“Dear Professor, could you please share the lecture notes for Unit 3?”

FORMAL

“Dear Professor, I would be grateful if you could kindly provide the lecture materials pertaining to Unit 3.”

Important: Professional does not necessarily mean more formal. “Hi everyone, let's meet at 3 p.m. to discuss the project” can be professional without being highly formal.
INFORMAL→PROFESSIONAL→FORMAL
Remember:
FORMAL = degree of formality
PROFESSIONAL = appropriateness to a professional context
INFORMAL = relaxed, conversational interaction

Key sentence: “Professional language can be formal, but professional does not always have to be highly formal.”

Learning Outcomes

By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:

01Identify formal, informal and professional situations.
02Select appropriate phrases for different audiences.
03Deliver a clear and confident self-introduction.
04Adapt information to the situation and listener.
05Respond appropriately when another person introduces themselves.

1. Choose the Right Register

The same person may introduce themselves differently depending on the relationship, purpose and setting.

SituationRegisterTypical openingFocus
Meeting a new classmateInformal“Hi! I’m …”Friendly, natural, personal
Meeting a project partnerFriendly / collaborative“Hi, I’m … Nice to meet you.”Common interests and teamwork
Meeting a professorFormal“Good morning, sir/ma’am. My name is …”Respectful and concise
Meeting an industry guestProfessional“Good afternoon. My name is …”Studies, interests and goals
Placement / interview settingFormal + professional“Good morning. I’m …”Relevant education, strengths and goals

2. Model Introductions

Notice how the information and language change with the situation.

Informal

Meeting a new classmate

“Hi! I'm Rahul. I'm a first-year engineering student from Vijayawada. I'm interested in technology and problem-solving. I enjoy working with other students on practical activities. Nice to meet you. What about you?”
Formal

Introducing yourself to a professor

“Good morning, sir. My name is Rahul Kumar. I am a first-year engineering student. I am particularly interested in technology, innovation and practical learning. I look forward to developing my technical and communication skills.”
Professional

Meeting a professional guest

“Good afternoon. My name is Rahul Kumar, and I am currently pursuing engineering. My areas of interest include technology, teamwork and problem-solving. I am keen to gain practical experience through academic projects and industry interaction. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

3. Build Your Introduction

Use this simple structure rather than memorising a long paragraph.

1Name
“I’m …”
2Study
“I’m studying …”
3Interest
“I’m interested in …”
4Goal
“I hope to …”
5Connect
“Nice to meet you.”

Useful Phrase Bank

Choose phrases that match the context.

Starting: Hi! I’m … / Good morning. My name is …
Academic: I’m a first-year engineering student …
Professional: My areas of interest include …
Connecting: I enjoy working with others on …
Goals: I hope to develop … / I’m keen to gain …
Closing: Nice to meet you. / It’s a pleasure to meet you.

4. Classroom Activities

Two focused activities move students from controlled practice to spontaneous speaking.

01
Register Switch

Say it for the situation

Time: 15 minutes

  • Students prepare one basic self-introduction.
  • The teacher announces a situation: classmate, professor or professional guest.
  • Students change their opening, vocabulary and level of detail.
  • Partners identify whether the register is appropriate.
Challenge: Keep the key information the same, but change the language for the listener.
02
Introduction Carousel

Meet, introduce, respond

Time: 20 minutes

  • Students work in pairs and introduce themselves for 30–45 seconds.
  • Partner asks one follow-up question.
  • After each round, students change partners.
  • Final round: teacher assigns a formal or professional context.
Listening focus: Remember one detail about your partner and use it in your response.

5. Short Student Self-Introduction Demonstrations

Listen to real student introductions in English and notice the information, sequencing and personal details used by the speakers.

AUDIO 1 • 52 SECONDS

Hector — Student Self-Introduction

Hector introduces himself, explains where he is from and lives, talks about his interests and studies English, and mentions a future study goal.

Listen for: name → place → studies → interests → future goal.

Teacher prompt: “What information does Hector include? Which details would be useful in a first-day college introduction?”

AUDIO 2 • 1 MIN 19 SECONDS

Zhang Wei / Jason — Student Self-Introduction

A student introduces himself, gives personal information and interests, and connects an interest in mobile technology with future plans.

Listen for: personal details → interests → specific example → future plan.

Teacher prompt: “What makes this introduction personal and memorable? Which detail could you add to your own introduction?”

Two-pass listening routine: Play once for overall meaning. Play again and ask students to note the speaker’s name, place, study/course, interest and goal. Students then give a 30-second introduction of their own.
OPEN RESOURCE

English Listening Practice – Self-Introductions

Explore the source listening activities and transcripts used for the student self-introduction demonstrations.

Open Resource ↗

6. Speaking Assessment — 10 Marks

A quick formative assessment for the final 7 minutes of the lesson.

Criterion2 marks1 mark0 marks
RegisterConsistently appropriateMinor mismatchInappropriate
ContentRelevant and completeSome details missingVery limited
FluencyClear, natural flowSome hesitationFrequent breakdowns
PronunciationClear and understandableSome errorsOften unclear
InteractionResponds and connects wellBasic responseLittle interaction
Student Practice Pad

Prepare Your 30-Second Introduction

Write keywords, not a complete script. Then speak naturally.

My name: ______________________________________________
My course / year: ________________________________________
One interest: _____________________________________________
One goal: ________________________________________________
My closing: ______________________________________________
Exit Task

30-Second Challenge

Introduce yourself to a partner. The teacher then announces informal, formal or professional. Repeat your introduction and adapt it to the new situation.

Essential English • First-Year Engineering
Gayatri Vidya Parishad Institute of Higher Learning and Research, Kommadi, Madhurawada, Visakhapatnam